Recipe: Victoria Sponge for Diabetics
Save and organise your recipes on Yummly: Yum
Diabetics don’t have it easy. Not being able to eat sugar, chocolate, biscuits or other delicious sweet treats is a really tough challenge. Here’s a sugar-free Victoria sponge recipe dedicated to any diabetic readers out there…you deserve some ‘yum’ too!
One 7 inch cake will give you eight slices.
150g/5oz self raising flour
8 tbsp granulated Splenda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp dried skimmed milk powder
2 tbsp ground rice
2 eggs beaten
7 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp skimmed milk mixed with 6 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sugar-free jam and whipped cream for filling
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4.
- Line the bases of two 7inch cake tins and grease the sides with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the Splenda, the ground rice and the dried milk.
- Add the eggs, oil, milk with water, vanilla extract and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon or electric mixer. The mixture should drop off the spoon, if not, add more water.
- Spread into the two tins, level the tops with a spoon or knife then bake your cake for around 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Once cooled, spread whipped cream onto the bottom of one half and strawberry jam onto the bottom of the other, then sandwich together.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more delicious diabetes-friendly recipes, check out The Ultimate Book of Diabetic Cooking and The Guilt-free Gourmet: Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy on Amazon.