Recipe: Orange and Allspice Loaf Cake
Image via Flickr (Creative Commons)
Save and organise your recipes on Yummly: Yum
I love cooking up weird and wonderful cakes. I didn’t have the opportunity to do it much in my old house, so now I’ve moved into my new apartment and have kitchen facilities fit for a queen, I’m going full steam ahead with some good old-fashioned baking.
Yesterday I made an orange and allspice loaf cake. You’ll find the recipe and a few pictures below. These measurements make enough mixture for two delicious loaf cakes.
165g plain flour
165g spreadable butter
115g icing sugar
2tsp baking powder
1tsp ground allspice
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
50g nuts – preferably half pistachios and half walnuts
Zest of 1 large orange
25ml rum or port
What to do:
1. Line two loaf tins with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together in a bowl then set aside.
3. Whisk the butter in a separate bowl and then sift in the icing sugar. Whisk the mixture until it’s pale and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, and whisk after each addition until they’re fully mixed in.
5. Add the honey and the flour mixture, whisking well.
6. Fold in the nuts and orange zest.
7. Add the vanilla extract and rum or port, then mix until fully absorbed.
8. Pour the mixture into the tins until each is about two-thirds full.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife in the middle comes out clean.
Heart-shaped Orange and Allspice Cake
This cake is best paired with a cup of Earl Grey or Ceylon tea. Enjoy!