Recipe: Moist American Chocolate Cake
Save and organise your recipes on Yummly: Yum
This succulent chocolate cake is based on a recipe I picked up during my stint living in America. My lovely neighbour Barbara was an amazing baker, always willing to share and exchange kitchen tips! This quick-fire recipe whips up an incredibly moist cake that goes perfectly with a generous helping of double cream…
8oz plain flour
12.5oz caster sugar
3oz cocoa powder
1.5 oz baking powder
9fl oz milk
4.5 oz vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
9fl oz boiling water
- Preheat your oven 180C/Gas mark 4.
- Grease a 10 inch cake tin. I like the ones with the false bottoms – they make the job of retrieving your cake after baking that much easier.
- Leaving aside the boiling water for a moment, combine all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon or electric whisk beat the mixture until smooth.
- Add the boiling water slowly and continue to mix until smooth once again. The mix should be a runny but quite thick.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 25-35 mins or until a skewer comes out of the middle clean.
- After cooling, pop it onto a plate, slice and serve with vanilla ice cream or custard with lashings of cream. Yum!